Sunday, January 18, 2009

Generic Light Beer...Croatian Style!

As soon as I saw this beer in the store...I knew it was something special!

This was my second trip to Croatia. I really enjoyed my first visit to Split. I guess it's safe to say...I kind of fell in love with Croatia. The people are very nice, and they love to eat meat...lots of it! They also have several real good beers and wines.

This beer was by far the cheapest beer on the shelf. For one half liter, I spent a whopping...36 euro-cents. So for a little more than two 8oz cans of beer, I spent around 50 cents. I great deal for beer drinking on the cheap! The logo was what first caught my eye. It just seemed to be a generic logo. I was right. The red box the the white "M" in it is the stores generic brand. Pivo is Croatian for "beer" and Svetlo is Croatian for "light." So this is in fact...generic light beer. YUMMY!
You can tell by the picture this beer had a really nice pour. The head was thick and aromatic. The color golden-amber. I was really starting to get excited about my cheap Croatian beer. However...the excitment stopped dead in it's tracks as soon as I took a drink. The aromatic smells of the head were gone. There was suprisingly NO taste in this beer. It tasted like lightly flavored water. 4.0% flavored water.

Don't judge Croatian beers by this! They do make a fantastic beer. I guess you could call it the Bud of Croatia...Karlovacko. Very tasty. As for the rest of Croatian beers...??? Well I think this video best describes them:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK! I will GO! (Again... I can't wait)